Movie Monday: Namor the tortured Aztec Super-villain
The mutant son of a human sea captain and a princess of the mythical undersea kingdom of Atlantis, Namor possesses the superstrength and aquatic abilities of the Homo mermanus race, as well as the mutant ability of flight, along with other superhuman powers.Through the years, he has been portrayed as an antihero, alternately as a good-natured but short-fused superhero or a hostile invader seeking vengeance for perceived wrongs that misguided surface-dwellers committed against his kingdom.
The first known comic book antihero, the Sub-Mariner has remained a historically important and relatively popular Marvel character. He has served directly with the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the Invaders, the Defenders, the X-Men and the Illuminati as well as serving as a foil to them on occasion.
NAMOR'S OTHER EXOTIC POWERS
Because of his unusual genetic heritage, Namor is unique among both ordinary humans and Atlanteans; he is sometimes referred to as "Marvel's first mutant" because, while the majority of his observed superhuman powers come from the fact that he is a hybrid of human and Atlantean DNA, his ability to fly cannot be explained by either side (Atlanteans are an offshoot of "baseline" humanity); however, in terms of in-continuity chronology, there were many mutants in existence before Namor. Namor possesses a fully amphibious physiology suited for extreme undersea pressures, superhuman strength, speed, agility, durability, flight, and longevity. Namor has the ability to survive underwater for indefinite periods, and specially developed vision which gives him the ability to see clearly in the murky depths of the ocean.
The more we dug up info about Namor, the more complicated things got. Remember, he has a long, long life span, so we'll get back to the basics. Here are ten things to know about Namor.
1. Namor, also known as the Sub-Mariner, is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.
2. Debuting in early 1939, the character was created by writer-artist Bill Everett for comic book packager Funnies Inc
3. His mutant power is the gift of flight, represented by the tiny wings on his ankles.
4. He can fly quite fast and for indefinite periods.
5. Namor lives in the 16th century, making him an Aztec.
6. He is granted an extremely long life by the vibranium-infused plant his mother had.
7. Namor agreed to align himself with Thanos.
8. He also lied and said that there was a gem hidden in Wakanda.
9. After Atlantis was destroyed, he wanted Wakanda to suffer.
10. He knew that the Black Order would attack Wakanda searching for the fabled Infinity Gem.
11. BONUS: Tenoch Huerta Mejía portrays him in his live-action debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022).
An inspiring message from Baptist Health about Breast Cancer awareness