Updated: Jul 7
By Woodie Lesesne
Growing up in the tropical climate of Jamaica, I remember my grandfather used to say that coconut water was cooling to your blood. As a child, I didn't quite know what that meant, I just knew that it was one of my favorite thurst quenchers. Whether you drank it cold or cool right out of the fruit, it was always good and oh so refreshing.
As a kid walking through the streets of Kingston with my father, there were always street vendors with coconuts on a horse or donkey pulled cart with a sharp machette ready at hand to delight passers by with their quick and acurate blade.
Coconut water is definitely a cultural thing, but the world is waking up to the value and benefits of coconut water and today it’s spawning a wider range of uses. The global coconut water market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 16.1% from 2020 to 2027 to reach USD 14.06 billion by 2027. Cocount water under many available brands can be found at grocery stores, nutrition centers and perhaps in local spots in your neighborhood. If not ask your favorite local spot to carry it.
If you’re not familiar, coconut water comes from the liquid from the young, green coconuts and is 95% water. Aside from being so naturally refreshing, coconut water also has special nutritional qualities and values. Did you know coconut water is loaded with potassiuim? In traditional natural medicine, coconut is believed to help treat dehydration, digestion, and other health matters.
Here are 5 popular uses for this magical water,
we are going to focus on the value to your workout:
1. Coconut water is a natural electrolyte replacement drink. Electrolytes are minerals in your body that have an electric charge. They are in your blood, urine, tissues, and other body fluids. Electrolytes are important because they help: Balance the amount of water in your body.
2. Coconut water contains a lot of potassium, some magnesium, and a small amount of sodium. Potassium is found naturally in many foods and as a supplement. Its main role in the body is to help maintain normal levels of fluid inside our cells. Potassium helps to prevent muscle cramps during and after a hard workout.
3. Coconut water contains more than 10 times the potassium as most sports drinks so it can be a great alternative. Potassium is a vital mineral that helps maintain the proper balance of fluids in the body and help the heart pump blood. Potassium also helps muscles to contract and supports normal blood pressure.
4. Magnesium is important for many processes in the body, including regulating muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure and making protein, bone, and DNA. Magnesium also helps the muscles with energy production, and prevents muscle cramping and spasms.
5. Coconut water is low in calories and sugar compared to typical sports drinks.
Though coconut water can be had at any time of the day, during summers, the best time to drink it is in the morning on an empty stomach or after a light breakfast. The vitamins and minerals go straight to your bloodstream, giving you an energy boost plus the cooling properties protect you from the harsh sunlight as you step out.
It's fair to say that there are many beneficial properties in this natural fruit, besides the nutritional value of potassium, drinking the water and eating the coconut jelly. The uses of coconuts from the hucks to the shell, the jelly at different consistency, even making jewelry and useful nick knacks, yummie treats, and so much more, the value of coconuts are almost as endless as your imagination.
As with all things consult with your health care provider to ensure you are taking in the right amount of potassium and other nutrients, as too much can cause diarrhea in some. Everything in moderation!
If you live in the tropics like I do, you can get coconut water straight from the fruit. Otherwise, this thirst quencher and health aid can be found in cans, carton and plastic containers, with or without coconut chunks or jelly. So don't wait. drink up for better hydration and a more optimal workout and Enjoy!